Chiropractor for Shoulder Pain
Of all the joints in your body, your shoulder is the most mobile, and no matter your age or occupation, its mobility is put to the test everyday. How often do you reach across your desk, over your head, or into a cupboard? Our shoulders are strong. During the day we steer cars, mop floors, and carry backpacks. In the evening we tidy up the house, carry our children to bed, and then sleep on our shoulders. We carry the weight of the world on our shoulders but sometimes, that figurative weight can become painful.
If you're a sufferer of shoulder pain, you're not alone. Many adults experience shoulder pain throughout their life. This post will give you some insight into the causes of that pain and how you can treat your shoulder pain with chiropractic treatment in Redondo Beach.
Causes of Shoulder Pain
Your shoulder is amazingly mobile because it has multiple working parts. But due to its complex makeup, the shoulder is also less stable than other joints in the body. This makes the shoulder vulnerable to both injury and damage from exercise and degenerative changes.
There are many different causes for pain in the shoulder. From sports injuries to osteoarthritis and occupational stress.
Common causes of shoulder pain include:
- Rotator cuff disorders
- Shoulder instability
- "Frozen shoulder"
- Overuse from sports or occupational activities
Chiropractic Treatment of Shoulder Pain
Most causes of neck, back, and shoulder pain are associated with musculoskeletal imbalance. Receiving care from a chiropractor for shoulder pain is recommended to relieve inflammation, numbness, swelling, aching pain, or trigger points, as these are conditions that are very responsive to treatment. A chiropractic shoulder adjustment can be directed specifically to ligaments, muscles, nerves, and fascia to relieve back and shoulder pain.
Any time a patient has shoulder pain, it is essential to determine the cause. Instead of receiving anti-inflammatory medications or pain pills that may mask your symptoms, when you see a chiropractor for shoulder pain, a thorough evaluation will be performed to determine the cause of your pain. Your chiropractor will examine your spine and neck, as well as your upper extremity and shoulder. More of a holistic approach to pain, x-rays are only taken when clinically necessary.
If the cause of your shoulder pain is not suited for a chiropractic shoulder adjustment, you will be referred to an appropriate healthcare provider to help ensure you get prompt and adequate treatment. In most cases, however, a referral isn't needed because the majority of conditions that cause shoulder pain respond well to chiropractic care.
After the cause of shoulder pain has been determined, chiropractor shoulder pain treatment may include:
- Gentle spinal adjustments to make sure the nerves that travel from the spinal column to the shoulder are not trapped, compressed, or pinched
- Adjustments of the shoulder joints and stretching capsular joint restrictions
- Gentle mobilization and manipulation to help ensure muscles can work on the shoulder correctly
- Muscle massage and release techniques
- An individualized program of physical therapy, including stretches and strengthening exercises you can use at home to prevent re-injury and minimize further degenerative changes
Depending on the reason for neck, back, and shoulder pain, acupuncture or ultrasound therapy may be used.
Preventing Shoulder Pain
Chiropractic treatment addresses the source of shoulder pain. A chiropractor can provide a physical assessment and advice for eliminating the cause of your shoulder pain such as:
- Exercises and physical therapy for relieving back and shoulder pain.
- Ergonomics and positioning at work
- Adjusting position for shoulder and back pain while driving
- Sleeping positions related to neck, back, and shoulder pain
- Eliminating tension headaches associated with back and shoulder pain
- Nutritional advice related to your spinal health
- Exercises for muscle stiffness in the neck that can contribute to back and shoulder pain
Your shoulder is important for doing daily tasks in life. Sshoulder pain should always be treated either by a physical therapist, orthopedist, or chiropractor.
The following symptoms should never be ignored:
- Warmth, redness, or swelling of your shoulder
- Weakness in your shoulder or arm
- The inability to raise your arm
- Pain in the shoulder that goes away and then returns
- Shoulder pain that lasts more than a few days
- Numbness of tingling down the arm, chest, or back
A chiropractic evaluation can get you on the road to pain-free living and early treatment can help you avoid the possibility of a long-term, serious problem. If you have shoulder pain, schedule an appointment to get chiropractic treatment in Redondo Beach.