Chiropractic Treatment for Sports Injuries
Participation in team sports or working out on your own is an excellent way to improve and maintain your health. Regular exercise provides many benefits to back pain including strengthening your bones, improving your heart health, decreasing stress, and reducing lower back pain. However, all too often, accidents and injuries happen during these common sports activities.
Knowing how to prevent accidents and where to find the right help for sports injury treatment is an essential part of maintaining your health. Specialized chiropractic management of these types of sports injuries can provide you with the one of the best and most effective drug-free rehab programs available.
Diagnosing a Sports Injury
Injuries related to sports can or occur suddenly because of trauma, like strains or sprains, or they can come on slowly due to chronic overuse of tendons, muscles, and joints. An acute injury triggers your immune response to protect your body from further damage. This response leads to swelling around the injury and pain. Taking steps to reduce swelling is one of the best sports injury treatments. If you think you have an acute injury and are experiencing swelling, you can use the RICE method to reduce swelling and pain.
- Rest: Activity increases the circulation of blood and fluids to the injured tissues, which is already increased due to the body's immune response. Rest allows time for normal blood flow to be re-established and it also decreases pain.
- Ice: Cold causes constriction of blood vessels, decreasing the flow of blood to the injury and reducing swelling. Ice packs can be used for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, several times a day for the first 48 to 72 hours following a sports injury. Never apply an ice pack directly to the skin—wrap it in a T-shirt or a thin towel.
- Compression: Compressing the area around the injury reduces the flow of blood to injured tissues. You can use sports tape, an air cast, or compression bandages like an Ace wrap. Be sure to wrap evenly and snugly, but not too tight. Compression wraps should not cause numbness or tingling.
- Elevation: Like rest, ice, and compression, gravity helps decrease swelling and is an excellent initial sports injury treatment. Use a pillow or other soft surface to get the injured area above the level of your heart.
Sports Injury Treatment
Chronic sports injuries and overuse conditions can also benefit from the RICE method, especially when the pain and swelling of flare-ups occur. But it's generally better to avoid injury flare-ups before they occur.
One way to avoid injury flareups is by establishing a routine of preventative treatment, including stretching, proper warm-up, and regular chiropractic adjustments. It's important to understand why the injured area keeps causing you trouble. If the muscles or other supportive structures are weakened or damaged, re-injury is likely.
You can reduce your risk of chronic re-injuries by not only limiting the exaggerated or repetitive forces, but also by improving the strength, integrity, and flexibility of the surrounding structures.
A chiropractor who is experienced in the prevention and in the treatment of sports injuries is a good option for drug-free treatment of your sports injuries. Sports injury chiropractors are experts in the musculoskeletal system. Redondo Beach Chiropractors at Catalina Medical Center will work with you to evaluate, diagnose, and provide chiropractic sports injury treatment.
We have experience with chronic and acute sports injuries, including:
- Biceps Tendinitis
- Impingement Syndrome
- Hip Flexor Strain and Hip Pain
- Inversion ankle sprain
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Lateral Epicondylitis
- Tibial Stress Syndrome
Chiropractic and Sports Injuries
Chiropractic sports injury treatment begins with a thorough examination, including standard neurological and orthopedic tests. This can help diagnose whether your pain is due to a sprain, strain, injured disk, or other problem. When needed, X-rays and other diagnostic tools can be used. In many ways, chiropractic sports injury treatment overlaps or mirrors that provided by traditional medical care, but chiropractic makes two significant additional contributions to sports medicine:
- Manual adjustment of joints
- Restoration of overall structural balance
When a joint or soft-tissue injury occurs, the body tries to compensate naturally for the injury. Just like swelling is a natural protective mechanism following an injury, the body attempts to reestablish balance by tightening other joints and muscles. The goal of chiropractic sports injury treatments and adjustments is to restore the body's natural balance and maintain range of motion in the joints. This helps healing to occur and also prevents re-injury.
Redondo Beach Chiropractor for Sports Injuries
Chiropractic treatments for sports injuries are most effective in treating injuries resulting in neck, shoulder pain, and lower back pain. Because sports-related injuries often involve soft tissues, physical therapy, combined with chiropractic treatment, is often integral part of rehabilitation and preventative care. Of course, you don't have to be an athlete to suffer an overuse injury. Hip pain, back pain, shoulder or neck pain can occur in any individual, at any age or stage of life.
Whatever the reason for pain, overuse or acute sports injury, chiropractors are the experts in musculoskeletal health. If you're experiencing pain, request an appointment today for chiropractic treatment of your sports injury.